Monday, June 8, 2009

Death is light as a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain.

Let's break this down first. I didn't come up with this quote on my own. I have this ability to read books and retain a bunch of the knowledge at a high rate, and this comes from one of the many fantasy novels that I've read lately. The main character is complaining about his life, and how difficult things are right now and his friend, an older warrior, quotes this headline at him.

The first half, Death is light as a feather....
The wages of Sin is Death. How easy is it to step out of line, to commit some sin, and Die! It takes no effort, it takes less than no effort, you sin without even trying, it's an inevitable thing that just happens. This burden of sin is light as a feather to carry around until you realize that it is your duty as a child of the Ever Living God to not sin, to walk the straight and narrow.

Duty is heavier than a Mountain...
God doesn't expect us to walk the path alone. If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can tell that mountain to throw itself down. In the every day rigors of life, it's easy to forget God and try to go your own way, but keeping up with God is essential to moving that mountain. With Christ as the center of your existence, the mountain weighs nothing, and you can carry it.

My recent past going back just a few years has been anything but a glory to God. I've tried it on my own and been crushed by that mountain. It took getting arrested to see that my way wasn't the best, and finally I needed to pursue Christ with my whole heart, though I still fall on my face, I'm replacing the people that supported my sin, with those that bolster my faith, lift me up, and pray for me nearly every day. I'm in the word more often than not, and gather other literature on every aspect of the Christian Life. I'm not perfect and never will be, but with Christ all things are possible.

1 comment:

  1. This is an inverted quote from the Japanese "Imperial Rescript to Solders and Sailors" issued by Emperor Meiji on January 4, 1882.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Rescript_to_Soldiers_and_Sailors

    ReplyDelete