Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Warfare

The text of this blog is even a mystery to me. I have a friend that asked me for my notes from a church service this past Sunday and instead of just haphazard notes that aren't going to make sense to anyone, I've decided to insert my opinion and expound on them as best I can. There will also be several ideas that come from other sermons that I have heard recently on warfare.

Love and War, these are two principles that I struggle with when it comes to my spiritual walk. I will talk about love another time, I'm focusing today on warfare or the spiritual variety. The Pastor this past Sunday started off with a comment about people convincing themselves that God doesn't love them or isn't real or... something to that effect. It made me curious to see where he was going with the sermon because he spent several minutes telling the congregation that what he was speaking was going to be Truth to him and I could argue if I so choose, but it was as God had spoken to him for the meaning.

I was a little worried, not sure what kind of church I was in, I was visiting some people after all. I wondered the man's opinion on spritual warfare. I've heard a little bit about it and have even been taught how a little bit. I know I don't battle enough and struggle through some things that I really shouldn't. I was under the impression he was ignoring the greater battle that was going on all around us. We are beings that exist on two planes and therefore must protect ourselves on two planes. The seen world, the one we live in, it's easy to protect yourself from the dangers. A speeding car, violent gangs, drugs, Grandma's meatloaf, things are pretty well visible that you should avoid.

The other side of our existance is fought on another plane. We can protect ourselves from the evils of this spiritual world because we are bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus Christ. I've heard it likened to a Police officer pulling you over. You don't stop for the man that is pulling you over, but for the authority that he carries in the badge on his chest. A few calls can get any number of authorities in pursuit of you. In the same sense, all of us walk around with a blood colored badge that protects us from powers and principalities that are trying to destroy us. Stand before a tide of demons and they will laugh and mock you, but pull out that badge and they are then in the presence of THE Divine. They cannot stand against the creator, even they must steer clear of his wrath.

Spiritual Warfare is essentially walking around holding up your badge so the darkness does not overwhelm you. Whether we believe it or not, God is at war with the Devil. Once you signed on and said "yes, I'm going to follow Jesus", you enlisted in this war. You have the best defense there is, you have God on your side. There is nothing greater, nothing stronger, nothing that can stand against his awesome power. It's a continuing process though. You don't just get to hold up your badge once and say, stand back Satan!! He lies, cheats, steals, and he knows you. He finds the cracks in your armor and he strikes hard. We must continue to actively battle. You don't just get to stop after winning one skirmish. Satan is out to bring you down and he doesn't fight fair.

If you are reading this still, at some point in our lives, our path's have crossed and I mean enough to you that you will read something that I write. Nehemiah 4:14 says "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your homes." I don't have a family, but I know that doesn't excuse me from the fight. I pray for my brothers and after that, I likely pray for you, specifically by name. I fight for you the way I would for my own family. Don't sit back and let yourself be a casual Christian, fight!! A phalanx works best when all are fighting side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment