Friday, February 12, 2010

My Runner's High

Pedal backwards through my blog a little bit and you come across what I resolved to acomplish for this year. First on the list is that silly Marathon that I agreed to do with my brother-in-law. Today was a tipping point in my training. I've been out the last week with sore muscles, yes I'm a wuss, but I don't want to hurt myself like I have so many times in the past because I pushed myself too hard, too soon. Today was different.

I started my run off today like I do every time. I move my legs vigorously, whether that is running in place or just shaking them like I'm doing 'the Charelston', it doesn't really matter to me. I need blood flow to my legs. I stretch, don't want to pull a muscle, again, then I start out slow.

As I started to run down Cherokee, a road behind my sister's house, I noticed that my body felt good. It felt GOOD. Man, I tell you, It felt amazing. I haven't felt the way I did today in a very long time. So what do you do when you feel good? You run faster, and I did. My origional plan for the day was about a 3 mile loop around the blocks by where I'm living, but that didn't work out so well for me.

I was running down Jasper Rd, and I realized that I could go on at my pace for a long time. I picked up the pace and continued past what would have been my last turn and return home. I felt so good, I didn't really want to stop. I toyed with the idea of adding another 4 miles on my run, but resisted. After all, I am a bit of an experienced runner and didn't want to over do it. Instead I settled on about a 6 mile run through the surrounding neighborhood.

What I felt today I can only describe as a runner's high. I haven't had a good high in a while so I'm not sure if that's what I was actually experiencing, but I tell you, if I feel like that when I do finally run my marathon, I'm going to be in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment