Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fuzzy Memory

So, I broke down, jumped on the bandwagon, and I did, it, I'm on facebook, but what is really disturbing me is all the people who are finding me that I went to high school with, that I really just don't remember who they are.

I've been trying to recollect several of the people that have invited me to become friends and I'm realizing, that I wasn't really friends with many of them. I could point them out in hallways, and I could carry on a conversation with many of them about what classes they have taken, which teacher they like and dislike, and also, who around the school they just can't stand. It saddens me that I never really took much of an interest in many of the people that I did attend school with, because I missed out on some truly interesting people. Shallow as I was, many people I never saw past how athletic they were, how attractive they were, or who else they hung out with.

Now... I don't pretend that I am the cock of the walk, but I sure thought I was, then. Many of my friends sure thought they were, but I look back, and see we were all frightened little boys who really had no idea what it was we wanted, so we tried to appear cool.

I guess this post is coming to me because of my aging situation. I'm approaching my 10 year reunion. Yes, that's right, 10 years, and I'm concerned that my attitudes towards many of these people might still reflect how I saw them in high school, and not the wonderfully interesting people that I hope to see in them now. It'll be a stretch to see past many of my stereotypes, but I hope I'm up to it.

Also, Reader, I believe you have me pegged, but I can't for the life of me figure out who you are.

2 comments:

  1. Ah... Facebook.

    I had a facebook page (twice). I deleted them both for the same reason- too many people who just seemed… empty.
    Terrible, I know. But I was just getting too many negative vibes from people who were labeled my "friends".
    Hope it works for you though :)

    As to who I am.
    Did you read my very first comment? Maybe you didn't because I know you didn't answer my question from it. But don't bother because I already know the answer...
    I didn't mean to be deceitful or to hurt you in any way. I only wanted to know you were ok. I never got to say goodbye and that hurt me- more than you could know.
    My first name isn't Elicia. It's my middle name.
    I'm sorry I wasn't honest with you Jesse.
    I truly only wish the best for you and to bless you in what little way I can- simple words.
    It’s not often I find someone who actually thinks and has feelings on a level deeper than that typical, frivolous American B.S.
    (please excuse my anger but it’s true, for me anyway)

    I’ve enjoyed reading your blogs but I’ll understand and respect your wishes if you wish me to stop.


    All the best to you: Man On Fire,
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete