Friday, July 31, 2009

Wednesday night in SFC

It's becoming a bit of an obsession. Never in my life can I recall being this excited to spend time with the Lord.

I need to give you a bit of back story to truly describe Wednesday night. Last Sunday, I accidentally signed myself up to help out with VBS. Yes, me running around, influencing little kids and talking with them about God, sounds like a plan. So, how did I accidentally sign up, well, I walked into a meeting that I thought was for something else, and come to find out that it is an information meeting for the people that are helping put on this years Bible School. Oops!! Well, I like kids, and I had already made myself the free sandwich that they were offering, so I thought I'd stick around and see if there was something that I could help out with. The first character that I really would rather have been was Festus, an Olympic wannabe, not unlike myself, but the time requirement was too much and it would have messed with the Wild at Heart class that I'm teaching, not to mention the middle school camp that I'm helping with that same week. So, I landed the part of the pompous and arrogant, Senator. Now, this is something I can get behind, because, after all, up until a pants episode not too long ago, I was all of both of those things.

I was instructed by one of the teachers to get the script from her before I left, and well, I forgot. Maybe it was that she was my mom's age and flirting with me, or maybe it was that I had been at church longer that Sunday than most Mormons, I left without a script. But oh thank you Lord for Air Conditioning.

Wednesday morning rolls around and I was out and about. The temperatures were climbing to triple digits, and dry to wet clothing ratios were rapidly approaching pre-spin levels from the washing machine. I found myself driving by my church, and realized that almost all buildings in the world, unless they are made of ice themselves, have AC. I stopped, and ran into the children's minister, which I had met only once, and she acted like I was a long lost son, and was very glad to see me. She told me how glad she was that I was helping out, and asked me to stop by that evening to get a copy of the script for my part. This was easy enough, because, after all, Tuesday found my Wild at Heart group crowded around a laptop screen watching the DVD series, because the disc would not work in a regular DVD player. Paul agreed to loan me the brand new copies of the video series, so new in fact, they haven't made copies yet. So, my life hangs in the balance of these three discs.

Finally, Wednesday night. I needed to get my script, some things from Paul, and a little more of that AC that I love so much. One of my favorite worship leaders was playing, so I thought I'd poke my head in and listen. I sat next to someone I didn't know, hoping I wouldn't get immersed in conversation, and noticed another guy that I'm friends with, sitting alone, I thought I'd go say hi and then take off. Then Dave took the stage. That night he just seemed to have a presence. I listened for a little bit, then a bit more, and after a while, I realized I had sat through all of the service.

Was I surprised, certainly, but in a good way. There is so much God out there, and I'm just excited to get to spend time with him, and the more days of the week that I get to, the better. Yes, I realize he's always with me, and try to remain in constant conversation with him, but there's something about the fellowship of fellow believers that really makes me feel good and welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment