Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An Instant Message

I ran track. I wasn't terrible at it and when I went to college I gave up the whole football thing to turn toward running, which meant cross country. Now, as far as distance running, I've run the occasional road race and once in a while a mile during PE class, but cross country!? What on earth was I thinking?

College became a difficult time for me. I played a game that I was really good at but never bonded with the coaching staff very well, therefore I quit. Focusing on my own physical shape and my running ability. In doing so I made some really great friends and then found a guy, in my track coach, that I could bond with as a mentor. He acted in many ways like my dad while I was in college and pushed me to be the best I could possibly be.

Sundays turned into more of a relaxing in the pool sort of day. After a week of torturing your body, it needs some rest. Garry, my track coach, was a big fan of Aqua Joggers. If you're not familiar with Aqua Joggers or Aqua Belts, they are a buoyant belt that you put around your waist to stay afloat while you jogged in circles around a pool.

During a workout one Sunday, my buddy Kelly and I got separated from the rest of everyone that was jogging and we were just chewing the fat. Garry prowled the edge of the pool as he always did and tried to stay interested in what his athletes were in to. Kelly and I talked about all kinds of BS and that day we were talking about instant messager. Garry overheard and asked what we were talking about.

"Well Garry, we're talking about instant messager"

"I've got an instant message for ya"

At that point Garry eloquently extended his middle finger in a gesture commonly called "the bird" or "birdie". Kelly and I nearly drowned in the effort to laugh and jog at the same time.

Last week Kelly was nice enough to remind me of this little adventure and I only have to think of it to laugh a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment