Monday, January 11, 2010

Short New Goals

I went on a run today.

I'm going to let that statement stand there by itself for a few reasons. Looking at the previous post, you will notice that first on it is to run a marathon. I've had this as a goal for a while. I ran track in college, but my event was the hurdles. I never had to run farther than 1500 meters, and that only about twice a year. Distance is not my thing. So why do I think that I want to run a full marathon, 26.2 miles, and likely urine in my pants. Running those kinds of distances will make you lose control of certain body functions, and I'm quite sure that I will pee myself. More importantly, I won't care.

Showing up and being effective for such a long distance is just not going to happen. You have to train, and train a lot. So, let's go back to that first statement right now. I went for a run today. I haven't been running in a long time and I would like to say that I have a good reason like I have been hurt or, something... No, I've just been really lazy, I hate to admit that but it's more of a true statement that saying I have been hurt for that long. A little more to it. I did hurt myself, and it was a pretty bad injury, but it's been a long time, almost two years since, and I just never got into a routine to run again.

How can a simple run be a small goal? For starters, I finished my whole run. I set out to run a certain distance and I actually ran the whole way. That sounds a little ridiculous, but in the past few years I haven't been able to go out and run a short distance. Mostly because I'm not really used to taking it easy when I run. I go for it. I head out and beat the street, I race it to the end, and try as hard as I can to win. That's the way I'm built. So starting small isn't something I can do easily. I would start out well and get to a point that I was just too tired to carry on, and I would start walking.

So finishing a whole run is a start for me. When I was in shape, I felt good about myself, and finishing a run is a key to getting back in shape. Out running, I can still hear my track coach yelling at me and it keeps me moving. Maybe that's the key. I hope I can keep moving, with God's help I can keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment