Monday, March 29, 2010

First Impressions

I stepped off the Amtrak in Spokane about 12:15 Saturday morning. I was exhausted and hadn't slept well for a few days leading into the trip so I was hoping to actually sleep on the train. That didn't happen. My friend met me at the station and took me back tot he Ronald McDonald house where he was staying with his wife and 4 year-old daughter who is fighting cancer. I don't know what I expected but I did not expect to see a small child with no hair that looked a little like an alien. I was tired and she was asleep so I didn't get to talk to her that night, and sleep was long in coming.

Waking up was a quick process of realizing how uncomfortable I actually was in the bed I was in and waking up. There was no bounding out of bed, I was after all very tired, but I dragged myself up and sat on the floor next to this smiling little girl that was really excited to see me. She gave me a hug and the picture of the frail little thing the night before was gone. Everyone was up by this time and Katelyn was watching some cartoons. I was suprised to see how happy she was, just don't mention shots, and how active she was.

My friends have to get back to their normal schedules now that it's Monday. For Brian that means going back to work, but for Jamie that is a trip back to Spokane and back into the hospital for a 4 year-old. She is responding to the treatments well and taking the process better than some adults could. Like all healings, this will take time and I know a little girl who will beat cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment