Sunday, August 16, 2009

Middle School Camp

You can't start discussing middle school camp without first talking about Adam Tubbs. Adam is the guy sitting in charge of the middle school youth group and he's a bit strange. I've never actually met Adam. His father is my mentor, and I've known the lot of them for about 20 years now, but there was never a time when I got introduced, Adam, Jesse: Jesse, Adam.

This week, we didn't get introduced, but I got to know the guy a little bit, and I must say from the outside, if all I heard were the stories about this guy, I'd never let my kids go to a camp with him, but, having experienced his teaching, his passion, and his love for those kids, he's in the place he should be.

Something that I learned about the guy this week, Adam used to ride in the rodeo until he heard God say to pursue youth ministry. He sold off his rodeo gear bit by bit and... well... he bought a suit of armor. Yes, a suit of armor. This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the strange things about this guy; From the bottom of a dog pile he was asking if the 12 guys on top of him gave up; One of the games we played was called "Man Down" and the leaders got to kidnap stragglers from the group; for another event, treasure hunters had to find Adam and one of the other leaders, both wearing Gilly Suits, google them if you don't know what they are.

Adam brings spirit and enthusiasm to his teaching and conveys his passion for Christ's Love in his messages and the kids are fortunate to have him for their leader. I look forward to spending more time with Adam, the kids, and the wacky things that surround SFC youth ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment