Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Words from Paul

It's been easy for me to hide behind a mask these past several months, especially when I move into a new situation where people don't really know where I came from. I have a messy sort of past and few people can truly say that they know all about me because I'm not as open as I sometimes pretend to be. I've had my share of joys and pains and somehow have landed on my feet.

Paul says in Philippians 4:11-12
Not
that I was ever in need, for I have learned
how to be content with whatever I have. I
know how to live on almost nothing or with
everything. I have learned the secret of liv-
ing in every situation, whether it is with a
full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.

I know the truth of these words more than most. I know what it's like to be able to buy anything that you want without so much as a thought to how to pay for it. I have had money to spend, and spend it I did. Also, I know what it's like to pick between eating for a few days or paying a bill. Pride has always hampered me, but I'm learning to hard way to swallow what is left of it and be completely reliant on God for all of my needs. I look back on the recent past and even through the worst of my situations, there was always a way out, a back door that God left open that I could slip out when I was in such crisis that I needed out.

The strength of God strengthens me. I call his name and ask for a guiding light through the darkness. He comforts me watches over my path to keep the obstacles from becoming too great for a floundering sinner like myself. His great love for his people overwhelms me and stretches my arms to the church ceiling, eyes closed, voice raised up praising the glory that is the one True God.

1 comment: